share this page

Information Design & Development (Certificate)

Overview

The Society of Technical Communication (STC) define information developers, technical writers and technical communicators as individuals who communicate using an instruction based focus on technical and specialised topics using technology. Their primary role is to communicate information to users of products or services in a clear concise manner for diverse audiences and stakeholder groups.

This 30 credit part-time online programme is delivered over two semesters in one academic year. It is designed to equip graduates with the knowledge, skills and competencies to design and developed technical documents using a structured methodological approach. The programme was developed with key industry stakeholders; Johnson Controls, EMC, VCE, IBM and TWi to address the skills shortage in this area. Click this link or the image over to download the programme flyer which contains links to all programme modules.

AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR this COURSE?

This Springboard+ funded programme is open to all level 8 degree graduates irrespective of their employment status. For employed participants, the HEA will fund 90% of the course fee with CIT collecting the remaining 10% from participants at registration. All other participants will be funded 100% by the HEA. The following level 8 degree holders can apply:

  • Those in receipt of an eligible payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and the formerly self-employed.
  • People not in receipt of a payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection that have been out of the work environment for a number of years due to childcare or other caring obligations and have a previous history of employment but may require upskilling or reskilling to transition back to the workforce (“Returners”).
  • People in employment who wish to upskill or reskill to meet a specific emerging skills gap.

Returners and employed participants will be required to meet the residency requirements for Springboard+; that they must have been ordinarily resident in an EU/EEA/Swiss state for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to their programme.

Who Should Apply?

Are you interested in a career as an information developer, technical communicators or technical writer? Maybe you are interested in changing your career path or would like to take this excellent online course to enhance your curriculum vitae?  Graduates of this programme may progress to the Postgraduate Diploma or the MSc in Information Design & Development stage.

Programme Structure

The programme places significant emphasis on student learning by doing. It adopts a practical, hands-on, approach to learning, where all modules are fully assessed using continuous assessment methods. There are no formal end of semester written examinations and this ensures that you will learn by doing from the first module to the last.

Content

Designed to address the widening practical and theoretical skills shortage in Information Design and Development, the programme delivers content that follows best practice in industry.

ONLINE DELIVERY

This programme will be delivered fully online. Lectures are delivered using Adobe Connect and labs are available 24/7 using CIT’s world-class private cloud environment.

AB​OUT THE​ DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

The Department of Computer Science at CIT is one of the largest Computer Science departments in Ireland. We offer a range of modern undergraduate programmes and a host of opportunities at master’s degree and at PhD level. Our industry engaged programmes match the needs of our economy and have an excellent reputation for producing the most employable computer science graduates in the region. These highly skilled graduates are in huge demand and contribute significantly to the development of the region. As technology plays a greater role in our society the growth in the demand for these graduates will continue year after year.

CLOSING DATE FOR APPLI​CATIONS

Enquiries

Dr Donna O'Shea
Deptartment of Computer Science

Apply for this course now

The closing date for processsing applications will be when all places have been allocated. As this programme is likely to fill quickly we anticipate a closing date within the next couple of weeks.

© 2018 CIT | web development by Granite Digital